Saturday, April 2, 2016

Day 1

 I've played with the idea of making a rocket stove but I always have limited results. I built one out of a few blocks and managed to get a kettle of water near boil.
 Kirsten was making breakfast and coffee. We had left over easter ham and eggs. Yumm


 Then we all began to build our "test" cob pizza oven. Here we are building our form from top soil. Its best to use wet sand but I wanted to build my test oven completely from free stuff I could harvest or recycle.

 Here we see Keona and Kalel doing the twist on our clay mixture.

 Once they completed the mixing. They warmed there cold toes by the fire while Kya brought me the clay to build the oven.



 Then they mixed the cob insulating layer. We harvested some try straw material from the back of our property and mixed it in for strength. The kids were giggling quite a bit.



 Kirsten made a scrumptious chili for lunch.



 Test oven needs to dry a bit and I need to pull out all that top soil to create an oven cavity.

 Kirsten helped Kalel make a bow and I helped him a bit with an arrow. He also made a spear at some point that he plays with for hours.




 We played a quick game of apples to apples before everyone went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment